Domestic Abuse

Make a Standard Social Media Banner

The Society is opposed to all forms of domestic abuse and will support those who experience it.  We will arrange a private, confidential interview at a location of your choice within one working day.  We will take action against the perpetrators of domestic abuse where we have the power to do so, and work with partner agencies to offer support and advice to those who are abused.

 Domestic abuse is defined as follows:

'Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour , violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.'

Getting Help

Take a look at our Get Some Help Page

If you are on a low income you may be able to get free legal advice from a solicitor.  Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you find one that is experienced in issues of domestic abuse.

What protection can I get?

The police may be able to get a criminal conviction against a violent person, or under civil law you can get protection to allow you to live safely.

Victim Support is a national charity which helps people who are affected by crime, whether or not it has been reported to the police.  The service is free and confidential, and specially trained volunteers offer personal and emotional support, and can provide information about your legal options and accompany you to solicitors, the courts and other meetings, and help you complete paperwork and forms.

If a child needs protection from abuse contact social services at your County Council, or call Childline .  They can provide practical support, therapy or counselling and give information about local services for children and families.

What about my home?

You may want to stay in your current home. If you do, we can advise you on  taking legal action to stop the abuser coming to or remaining at your home.  You may also be able to get additional security for your home which will make you feel safer.

It may be that you have to leave your home to get away from the violent person, If you have nowhere else to go temporarily (such as with a friend or relative), you could contact the helplines see Getting help or your council's housing department as they provide a 24-hour emergency homelessness service.

You could also find help and support at a refuge.  A refuge provides safe accommodation for women and children who are homeless because of violence.  They provide practical help and advice for you whilst you are there, including helping you find alternative accommodation.