Get Some Help

Get Some Help

Positive Action Fund

Click the link below to find out more about how our Positive Action Fund could help you:

Positive Action Fund Information 

Positive Action Fund Procedure Oct 2022

Red Hen Project 

If you live in CB4, you may also be able to get help and support from the Red Hen Project. Click below for more information:

Help from HHS and Red Hen 


For helpful ideas, advice and tips on energy saving plus information, click the link below: 

Cost of Living Advice


If you need extra help or support, here are links to other organisations which may be able to help you: 

Citizen's Advice 

Cambridge Women's Resource Centre

Find your local Foodbank 

For access to Government offices and information about taxes and tax credits go to

Mind in Cambridgeshire for better mental health. If you are in a mental health crisis you can call 111 from any phone. 

Samaritans or phone 116 123 

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse doesn’t just happen to other people.  It can happen in any household.  It is widespread and under-reported and can happen to men or women.

The most important thing you can do if you or a member of your household is suffering domestic abuse is to tell someone.  Hundred Houses Society is opposed to all forms of domestic abuse and will offer support and advice to those who experience it. 

Details of other organisations that can help and support you are given below:

In an emergency always call 999

National Domestic Violence helpline – 0808 2000 247

Cambridge Women’s Aid – 01223 460947

Cambridge & Peterborough Rape Crisis Partnership – 01223 313551

Victim Support – 08453030900

Respect– 0808 8024040
Helpline for people concerned about their own behaviour

GALOP – National LGBT domestic abuse helpline – 0800 9995428

The Bobby Scheme – 01480 412311 or 07866 602100
To secure the home of older vulnerable people or victims of domestic abuse

Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) - What to do if you need urgent police help through the 999 service, but can’t speak

UK Says No More - Safespaces

Our Customer Services team can support customers with extra needs or who need help applying for grants or other extra help. Ring the office on 01223 315036 or email  and we'll be happy to help you. 


Hate crime support groups

Victim Support - support for victims of crime and traumatic incidents. 
Phone: 08081 689111


Stonewall - LGBTQ+ support across the UK.
Phone: 08000 502020


Galop - provides support and advice for LGBT+ people experiencing sexual violence, domestic abuse or a hate crime.
Phone: 0800 999 5428


Tell MAMA – Measuring Anti-Muslim Attacks -independent organisation tackling anti-Muslim hatred.
Phone: 0800 456 1226

Community Security Trust - provides 24-hour support and advice for victims of anti-Semitic hate crimes in the UK. 
Phone: 0800 032 3263 

Crimestoppers- This 24-hour service gives you the power to report crimes anonymously. 
Phone: 0800 555 111

Stop Hate UK- works alongside local strategic partnerships to tackle hate crime and discrimination, encourage reporting and support the individuals and communities it affects.



Housing & council tax benefit

Benefits signpostYou may be able to claim for Housing Benefit if you are on a low income. You need to apply to your local council as they administer the scheme. The amount of benefit you get depends on your circumstances and the rules set by government, and includes your income and savings, who lives with you, and your personal circumstances.  Housing Benefit is not normally backdated so you need to make an application as soon as possible.

You may also be able to claim help with your council tax. To apply you need to contact your local council:

You will need to complete an application form and provide proof of the information you supply through original documents. The following list indicates the sort of information you will have to provide:

  • National Insurance Number
  • Identification
  • Evidence of your income such as state benefits, earned income, self-employed income, pensions etc
  • Proof that you are paying rent
  • Evidence of your savings (if you have more than £16,000 you may not be eligible)

If you qualify for Housing Benefit the council will write and tell you how much you will receive.  You can arrange to have this paid directly to your rent account with us as long as you agree to this.  You are responsible for ensuring that you pay any shortfall in your rent to us.

You must immediately tell the council if any of your circumstances change as this may affect the amount of Housing Benefit that you are entitled to. Some examples are:

  • people joining or leaving your household
  • increase or decrease in savings
  • new income or a new job
  • changes in your rent

If you do not tell the council about the changes you may find that you are not getting your full entitlement, or you could be overpaid. If you are overpaid you may have to repay any amounts that you are not entitled to.

Other benefits

You may also be entitled to other benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Working Families Tax Credit, Disability Benefit or  Incapacity Benefit.  For more advice you should contact your local Benefits Agency.

There are other organisations that can also help if you have multiple debts including Citizens Advice Bureau, Housing Advice Centres or your solicitor.  They will be able to check which are the most important debts to pay, such as your rent ( which may make you homeless if you don't pay your rent) and any debts that may result in a custodial sentence (such as council tax), and make sure you pay these debts off first.

They may also be able to negotiate with other organisations that you owe money to, such as your credit or store card company, and in some cases may be able to freeze the debt until such time as you able start payments, or even get the debt written off.