Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. 
You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently get any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:

  • you have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

If you get tax credits, they will stop when you or your partner applies for Universal Credit. 
Check how tax credits and Universal Credit affect each other.

Universal Credit combines payments into one amount which is paid into your bank account on the same date each month.

How do you apply?

You will need an e-mail address and internet access to manage your claim, a mobile telephone number and a bank account,
building society account or credit union account.

Because Universal Credit is paid monthly you may need to make changes to the way you budget and ensure your rent account is in credit.

Find out more:  Universal Credit check list