Domestic violence

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence wristbandsThe Society will support any person who is a victim of domestic violence and will take action to remove a person who has caused domestic violence to another. Domestic violence is defined as follows:

'Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.'

Getting Help

The most important thing you can do if you or a member of your household is a victim of domestic violence is to tell someone.  There are a great number of organisations that can help and support you, and help you to get your life back on an even and safe track.  Details of these organisations are listed below or you can contact us in confidence for advice and assistance.  In an emergency always call the police by dialling 999.

Police - 0345 456 4564

National Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 2000 247

Women's Aid - 0808 2000 247

Victim Support - 0845 3030 900

Childline - 0800 11 11

Open Out - specialises in dealing with sensitive cultural issues, Black Minority Ethnic Groups and Hate Crimes, contact Victim Support on 0845 3030 900

If you are on a low income you may be able to get free legal advice from a solicitor.  Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you find one that is experienced in issues of domestic violence.

What protection can I get?

The police may be able to get a criminal conviction against a violent person, or under civil law you can get protection to allow you to live safely.

Victim Support is a national charity which helps people who are affected by crime, whether or not it has been reported to the police.  The service is free and confidential, and specially trained volunteers offer personal and emotional support, and can provide information about your legal options and accompany you to solicitors, the courts and other meetings, and help you complete paperwork and forms.

If a child needs protection from abuse contact social services at your County Council, or call Childline.  They can provide practical support, therapy or counselling and give information about local services for children and families.

What about my home?

You may want to stay in your current home. If you do, we will assist by taking legal action to stop the abuser coming to or remaining at your home.  You may also be able to get additional security for your home which will make you feel safer.

It may be that you have to leave your home to get away from the violent person, If you have nowhere else to go temporarily (such as with a friend or relative), you could contact the helplines or your council's housing department as they provide a 24-hour emergency homelessness service.

You could also find help and support at a refuge.  A refuge provides safe accommodation for women and children who are homeless because of violence.  They provide practical help and advice for you whilst you are there, including helping you find alternative accommodation.